Homeless and Foster Youth Policies
Bright Star Schools' Homeless Youth Policy
Bright Star Schools' Foster Youth Policy
Eligibility for McKinney-Vento Services
If your family lives
- in a shelter
- in a motel or campground due to the lack of an alternative adequate accommodation
- in a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station
- doubled-up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship
your child might be able to receive help through a federal law called the McKinney-Vento Act.
McKinney-Vento Rights and Supports
Your McKinney-Vento eligible children have the right to
- receive a free, appropriate public education.
- enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
- enroll in the local school; or continue attending the school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled),
if that is your preference.
- If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.
- receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
- receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children’s needs.
If you believe you may be eligible, contact Bright Star's homeless liaison to find out what services and supports may be available:
Senior Vice President of Student and Family Services
Bright Star Schools
Physical Address: 600 S La Fayette Park Pl, Los Angeles, CA 90057
Mailing Address: 5101 Santa Monica Blvd Ste 8, PMB 93, Los Angeles, CA 90029
Telephone: (323) 954-9957 ext 1004
Resources for Families Experiencing Housing Insecurity
- Bright Star Schools' Student Residency Questionnaire/Affidavit (Cuestionario del Lugar de Residencia del Estudiante/Affidavit | 학생 거주지 질문서 / 진술서)
- What I Need (WIN) Application (Resource Lookup | Búsqueda de recursos | 리소스 조회)
- You Can Enroll in School: Homeless Youth Poster (English)
- Puedes inscribirte en la escuela: póster de jóvenes sin hogar (español)
- 학교에 등록할 수 있습니다: 노숙자 청소년 포스터(스페인어)
- LA County Office of Education: Homeless Youth Education Program