23-24 School Year Information
We look forward to another great school year! Below, you will find information that will help support you and your students in their education.
We are #BrightStarStrong, together.
Attendance Really Matters for Students and Schools!
Attendance matters at every grade level, from kindergarten through 12th grade. Any absence may negatively impact your student's academic success regardless of being excused or unexcused.
Students should only be absent for valid reasons in accordance with the Bright Star Schools Attendance Policy.
¡La asistencia importa!
Valid Excused Absences Include:
- Personal illness, including COVID quarantine, and mental or behavioral health
- Doctor’s appointments including medical, dental, and eye appointments
- Attendance at a funeral service for a member of the student's immediate family
- Spending time with a member of the student’s immediate family who is an active duty military member
- Attendance at the student's naturalization ceremony to become a United States citizen
- Authorized parental leave for a pregnant or parenting student
- Middle school and high school students for one day per school year for participating in a civic or political event
- Upon advance written request for justifiable personal reasons, including, but not limited to:
- Appearance in court;
- Attendance at a funeral service other than as stated above;
- Observance of a holiday or ceremony of the pupil's religion; or
- Attendance at religious retreats.
How Does a Parent Verify an Absence?
- Parents or guardians must notify the school, within 24 hours, of the reason for any absence, excused or unexcused
- The parent or guardian must call the student’s respective school’s office each day the student is absent.
- For all absences, when the student returns to school, the parent or guardian must provide a satisfactory written explanation verifying the reason for the absence, such as a doctor’s note.
- An absence not properly verified will be considered unexcused.
Parents/guardians may not excuse absences for their child that are not considered excused absences in accordance with the policy. Please schedule appointments and family vacations during out of school time.
All absence notes must be submitted within 10 calendar days of the original date of absence.
Repeated unexcused absences can result in negative consequences up to and including your child being unenrolled from the school.
Please contact your school if you have questions or need to discuss extenuating circumstances.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirements for Staff
Per LAUSD requirements, all staff are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (i.e. at least 14 days have passed since the employee received: (i) the second dose of a two-dose series
or (ii) a single-dose vaccine), unless the employee receives a qualified and approved reasonable accommodation.
As an LAUSD-authorized charter public school organization, Bright Star Schools is required to follow LAUSD Board of Education Report #158, approved on December 14, 2021. The report states, “On August 13, 2021, the District announced that all District employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of continued employment/service. The requirement also applies to District partners, contractors, charter school employees, and other adults who provide services on District property.”